236 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- ca. 1983
This commercial vernacular building was constructed prior to 1885. Paul Bishop's boot and shoe store was lost in an 1877 fire that destroyed all but one building on the north side of main street between North Walnut Street and North Park Street. He may have built this block then or moved into an existing structure. He was here in 1885 and later sold the block to J. D. Trahey. The Post Office moved here ca. 1894-1896 and stayed until c. 1924. Various businesses have occupied the site. At the time of the survey, the building was occupied by Downtown Apparel.
The Reedsburg Historic Survey was conducted from October 1983 through April 1984 by the City of Reedsburg and community volunteers. The project was funded, in part, by a National Park Service and U. S. Department of the Interior grant, administered by the Historic Preservation Division of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. The surveys and accompanying photographs, housed at the Reedsburg Public Library, were compiled to determine National Register of Historic Places eligibility.
- Stager, Claudette
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Reedsburg Public Library
- Reedsburg Historic Survey
Taverns (Inns) Wisconsin
Bars (Drinking establishments)
Main Street Commercial Historic District
Reedsburg Post Office
Paul Bishop Boots & Shoes Shop
J. D. Trahey Saloon
Trahey, J. D
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the rights-holder(s) for educational uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
- Chicago citation style
- Stager, Claudette. 236 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin. ca. 1983. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1276. (Accessed November 18, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Stager, Claudette, (ca. 1983) 236 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1276
- MLA citation style
- Stager, Claudette. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1276>.