272 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- ca. 1983
This Romanesque structure was built in 1888 to house the operations of the Reedsburg Free Press. Edward M. Hackett was the architect and Reedsburg Building and Lumber was probably the builder. Norman V. Chandler was the founder of the Reedsburg Free Press. In 1878, John Powers and John Blake bought the newspaper. George Seamans bought the paper in 1899. The building is a pivotal structure in the Main Street Commercial Historic District and is architecturally significant. At the time of the survey, Gambles' Hardware was located here.
The Reedsburg Historic Survey was conducted from October 1983 through April 1984 by the City of Reedsburg and community volunteers. The project was funded, in part, by a National Park Service and U. S. Department of the Interior grant, administered by the Historic Preservation Division of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. The surveys and accompanying photographs, housed at the Reedsburg Public Library, were compiled to determine National Register of Historic Places eligibility.
- Stager, Claudette
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Reedsburg Public Library
- Reedsburg Historic Survey
Main Street Commercial Historic District
Free Press block
Reedsburg Free Press
Chandler, Norman V
Hill, W. F
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the rights-holder(s) for educational uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
- Chicago citation style
- Stager, Claudette. 272 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin. ca. 1983. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1804. (Accessed November 12, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Stager, Claudette, (ca. 1983) 272 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1804
- MLA citation style
- Stager, Claudette. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1804>.