Hotel Knight, Ashland, WI
- View Full Item
- Created Date
View from the corner of Second Street and Ellis Avenue looking at the five story brownstone building called the Hotel Knight or Knight Block. The stones at the top say "Knight, 1890." The sign on top of the building says "Hotel Knight." Bicycles and benches are out front on the wooden sidewalk.
Colonel John H. Knight was born in 1836 and died on August 22, 1903. Knight was named agent to the Lake Superior Chippewa in 1868 after serving in the Civil War. By 1878, he had moved to Ashland where he was an enterprising builder and owner, best known for constructing the Knight Hotel. Built of locally quarried brownstone, the Knight Hotel was designed by the architectural firm of Conover & Porter and opened for business on January 4, 1892. The first floor housed the finest stores, while the second story contained a large number of prominent lawyers, physicians, lumbermen and other business men. The entire structure was called the Knight Block to denote its status not as just a hotel but as a commercial block as well. The third, fourth and fifth stories contained the hotel. The fourth floor included the dining room, kitchen, billiard room and Music Hall with seating for 500 people. The Knight Hotel was a massive block of stone that served as a commercial, residential and soci
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Ashland Historical Society Museum
- This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any other 'Fair Use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. To obtain permission for other uses, or to request a high-resolution copy, please contact the Ashland Historical Society Museum. Address: 509 West Main Street, Ashland, WI 54806. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 715-682-4911
- Chicago citation style
- Hotel Knight, Ashland, WI. 1892-1920. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/Ashland/id/19. (Accessed November 22, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1892-1920) Hotel Knight, Ashland, WI. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/Ashland/id/19
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/Ashland/id/19>.