Three accounts of the Iroquois wars from the Jesuit Relations
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1648-1649; 1653; 1659-1660
These three short excerpts from the Jesuit Relations convey the terror and violence that drove the Huron, Ottawa, Sauk, Meskwaki (Fox), Kickapoo, Potawatomi, and other tribes into Wisconsin. They are taken from the annual "Relation of Things That Have Happened in New France" sent back to Paris each year by the head of the Jesuit missions in North America. Between 1896 and 1901, more than 70 volumes of these Jesuit Relations were edited in Madison and published in French and English. The English text of all volumes is online at Creighton University (linked elsehwere on the Turning Points site), where you can find immense detail about Wisconsin Indians at the time of their first contact with Europeans. To see what original volumes of Jesuit Relations looked like, see the letters written by Fr. Rene Menard in 1661, elsewhere on the Turning Points site.
- Ragueneau, Paul, 1608-1680; Lalemant, Jérôme, 1593-1673
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Wisconsin Historical Society
- Burrows Brothers Co
- Native Americans
Mines and mineral resources
Ashland County; Bayfield County; Brown County; Door County; Douglas County; Iron County; Marinette County; Oconto County
Wisconsin; Manitoba; Ontario; Quebec
- French; English
- We believe that online reproduction of this material is permitted because its copyright protection has lapsed or because sharing it here for non-profit educational purposes complies with the Fair Use provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law. Teachers and students are generally free to reproduce pages for nonprofit classroom use. For advice about other uses, or if you believe that you possess copyright to some of this material, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chicago citation style
- Ragueneau, Paul, 1608-1680; Lalemant, Jérôme, 1593-1673. Three accounts of the Iroquois wars from the Jesuit Relations. 1648-1649; 1653; 1659-1660. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39357. (Accessed April 11, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- Ragueneau, Paul, 1608-1680; Lalemant, Jérôme, 1593-1673, (1648-1649; 1653; 1659-1660) Three accounts of the Iroquois wars from the Jesuit Relations. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39357
- MLA citation style
- Ragueneau, Paul, 1608-1680; Lalemant, Jérôme, 1593-1673. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39357>.