Official Journal, 1820: Expedition with Cass and Schoolcraft
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1820-05; 1820-06; 1820-07; 1820-08
James Duane Doty, future governor of Territorial Wisconsin, was selected by Gov. Lewis Cass to be the official secretary of this U.S. exploring expedition. Doty, then 21 and serving as the secretary to the Territorial legislature in Michigan, carefully noted the details of their northwest course toward Lake Superior. As the War of 1812 had shifted control of the region from the British to the Americans, the expedition was charged with collecting information on the attitudes of the Indians in the northern Great Lakes region toward the Americans. They also sought to examine the natural and mineral resources of the area, to find appropriate sites for American forts, and, potentially, to locate the source of the Mississippi River.
- Doty, James Duane, 1799-1865
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Wisconsin Historical Society
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin
- Native Americans
Indians of North America Government relations
Mines and mineral resources
Canoes and canoeing
Copper mines and mining
- Ashland County; Bayfield County; Buffalo County; Douglas County; Iron County; La Crosse County; Pepin County; Pierce County; Trempealeau County
Wisconsin; Michigan; Minnesota
- We believe that online reproduction of this material is permitted because its copyright protection has lapsed or because sharing it here for non-profit educational purposes complies with the Fair Use provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law. Teachers and students are generally free to reproduce pages for nonprofit classroom use. For advice about other uses, or if you believe that you possess copyright to some of this material, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chicago citation style
- Doty, James Duane, 1799-1865. Official Journal, 1820: Expedition with Cass and Schoolcraft. 1820-05; 1820-06; 1820-07; 1820-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/30882. (Accessed June 4, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Doty, James Duane, 1799-1865, (1820-05; 1820-06; 1820-07; 1820-08) Official Journal, 1820: Expedition with Cass and Schoolcraft. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/30882
- MLA citation style
- Doty, James Duane, 1799-1865. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/30882>.