249 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- ca. 1983
This commercial vernacular structure was built in 1878 by J. N. Parker for Giles Stevens. Much of the block had been destroyed by a fire in 1877. Stevens purchased land from N. W. Sallade and another owner. Stevens was a lawyer in New York and came to Baraboo, Wisconsin in 1853. In 1854 he moved to Reedsburg to practice law with Joseph Mackey. Around 1855 Stevens became the county surveyor. In 1861 he organized Company B, 12th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers, and became captain. After the Civil War, he returned to Reedsburg to practice law and would become a county judge. The building is architecturally significant and part of the Main Street Commercial Historic District. Several businesses have occupied the building including a jewelry store and barbershop. At the time of the survey, Emery's Emporium was located here.
The Reedsburg Historic Survey was conducted from October 1983 through April 1984 by the City of Reedsburg and community volunteers. The project was funded, in part, by a National Park Service and U. S. Department of the Interior grant, administered by the Historic Preservation Division of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. The surveys and accompanying photographs, housed at the Reedsburg Public Library, were compiled to determine National Register of Historic Places eligibility.
- Stager, Claudette
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Reedsburg Public Library
- Reedsburg Historic Survey
Main Street Commercial Historic District
Giles Stevens block
Houck & Mackey
Giles Steven's Law Office
Sallade, N. W
Parker, J. N
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the rights-holder(s) for educational uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
- Chicago citation style
- Stager, Claudette. 249 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin. ca. 1983. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1109. (Accessed February 21, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Stager, Claudette, (ca. 1983) 249 Main St, Reedsburg, Sauk County, Wisconsin. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1109
- MLA citation style
- Stager, Claudette. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/RPL/id/1109>.