Seventy-two years' recollections of Wisconsin
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Augustin Grignon was the last in a long line of French fur-traders that stretched back to Charles de Langlade, the first European to live in Wisconsin. From 1805-1835 Grignon controlled the crucial portage at Grand Kaukalin on the Fox River, at present-day Kaukauna. He therefore knew every important person and was involved somehow in every important event that touched the Fox-Wisconsin waterway. Near the end of his life, Grignon recalled his own experiences and those of his forebears, from the French and Indian War and Pontiac's uprising to the invention of the railroad and the great waves of 19th-century European immigration. This document is consequently one of the most important sources on the early history of Wisconsin.
- Grignon, Augustin, b. 1780
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Wisconsin Historical Society
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin
- Native Americans
Maple syrup industry
Cities and towns
Rites and ceremonies
Boats and boating
New York Indians
- Madison, Wis.
Ashland County; Brown County; Columbia County; Crawford County; Sawyer County; Fond du Lac County; Grant County; Green Lake County; Iowa County; Kewaunee County; Marinette County; Marquette County; Outagamie County; Richland County; Sauk County; Winnebago County
Green Bay; Milwaukee; Prairie du Chien
Wisconsin; Michigan; New York; Pennsylvania; Quebec
- We believe that online reproduction of this material is permitted because its copyright protection has lapsed or because sharing it here for non-profit educational purposes complies with the Fair Use provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law. Teachers and students are generally free to reproduce pages for nonprofit classroom use. For advice about other uses, or if you believe that you possess copyright to some of this material, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chicago citation style
- Grignon, Augustin, b. 1780. Seventy-two years' recollections of Wisconsin. 1745-1857. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39828. (Accessed February 22, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Grignon, Augustin, b. 1780, (1745-1857) Seventy-two years' recollections of Wisconsin. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39828
- MLA citation style
- Grignon, Augustin, b. 1780. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39828>.