A View from 7th Avenue
- View Full Item
- Created Date
James Goeltz writes in the foreword, "I think you'll find a rather interesting account of Dad's life, most of which took place on 7th Avenue (West). He expounds on the hotel, prohibition, the store (the Bright Spot), chickens, high school football, the farm, Diamond Lake, Delta, and a few other subjects." Chapters are titled: 1. Goeltz Block : Early Days on the Farm, 2. Move to 7th Avenue, 3. Hotel Days; School; Football, 4. Mother Margaret, 5. Opening Bright Spot and Velvet Ice Cream, 6. Back to the Farm, 7. Diamond Lake, 8. Bright Spot Gang: Nellie, Babe & Ted, 9. Chickens and More Chickens, 10. Delta, 11. Prohibition; Milk; This and That, 12. More on the Goeltz Block, 13. The End of the Bright Spot.
James (Jim) Goeltz tape recorded oral history from his father, Earl Goeltz, over the summers of 1984-1987. Jim then took those tapes and typed up these memories and recounting's of life in the Ashland area and added Aunt Letty's photographs to compile this book. The Bight Spot was a confectioner and delicatessen located at 323 7th Avenue West, Ashland, WI from May 1923 to June 1966. The Goeltz Hotel, located at 315 7th Avenue West, was run by the Goeltz family from 1909 until the building was razed in 1967. The Goeltz Block was built by "Grandpa Adam" in 1888.
- Goeltz, Earl; Goeltz, James D.
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Ashland Historical Society Museum
- Ice cream & ices
City & town life
Stores & shops
- This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any other 'Fair Use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. To obtain permission for other uses, or to request a high-resolution copy, please contact the Ashland Historical Society Museum. Address: 509 West Main Street, Ashland, WI 54806. Email: email@example.com Phone: 715-682-4911
- Chicago citation style
- Goeltz, Earl; Goeltz, James D.. A View from 7th Avenue. 1988. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/Ashland/id/223. (Accessed May 30, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Goeltz, Earl; Goeltz, James D., (1988) A View from 7th Avenue. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/Ashland/id/223
- MLA citation style
- Goeltz, Earl; Goeltz, James D.. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/Ashland/id/223>.