Four letters, from New Voyages to North-America...
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Baron Lahontan came to New France in 1683 to fight the Iroquois, and between campaigns observed daily life in the colonies, hunted with the Indians, and traveled throughout the St. Lawrence Valley. In the first letter here (June 28, 1685), he describes the arrival of a fur trade flotilla from the Great Lakes and how the Indians and French negotiate prices for furs. In the second (Oct. 2, 1685; p. 51), he relates the economics of the trade, how it is carried out, and how merchants profit from it. In the third (July 8, 1686; p. 55) he tells of spending the winter hunting moose with the Indians. In the last (May 28, 1687; p. 60), he describes in detail Indian methods of capturing various fur-bearing animals and birds. He also reveals much about social life in New France, including everything from priests to prostitutes, as well as documenting its natural history.
- Lahontan, Louis Armand de Lom d'Arce, baron de, 1666-1715?
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Wisconsin Historical Society
- Printed for H. Bonwicke, T. Goodwin, M. Wotton, B. Tooke, and S. Manship
- Native Americans
Rites and ceremonies
Canoes and canoeing
- We believe that online reproduction of this material is permitted because its copyright protection has lapsed or because sharing it here for non-profit educational purposes complies with the Fair Use provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law. Teachers and students are generally free to reproduce pages for nonprofit classroom use. For advice about other uses, or if you believe that you possess copyright to some of this material, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Chicago citation style
- Lahontan, Louis Armand de Lom d'Arce, baron de, 1666-1715?. Four letters, from New Voyages to North-America.... 1685-1687. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39612. (Accessed April 12, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- Lahontan, Louis Armand de Lom d'Arce, baron de, 1666-1715?, (1685-1687) Four letters, from New Voyages to North-America.... Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39612
- MLA citation style
- Lahontan, Louis Armand de Lom d'Arce, baron de, 1666-1715?. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/39612>.