Franklin Street, West - Number 207 - Residence of John Graham - James Prentice House
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photographic print, taken by a Portage photographer around the turn of the twentieth century, is mounted on matboard and features the residence of then-owner, John Graham. James Prentice built this Italianate residence on West Franklin Street in 1875. The Italianate architectural features include the low-pitched roof, eaves and wide frieze board with exposed bracketing, narrow, tall windows with brick arched lentils, and front veranda with chamfered posts. According to the History of Columbia County (1880), John Graham was born in Scotland in 1833 and immigrated to Portage in 1850. He was employed at Fort Winnebago in the post office, then as a clerk, and in 1856 he commenced business for himself, under the firm name of Miles and Company. Graham opened his own business, Graham's Drugstore, in Portage in 1873. Graham was an active member of the community; he served as an alderman, major, and superintendent and trustee of the Columbia county poor asylum. The annotation, located at
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Portage Historical Society
West Franklin Street
James Prentice House
- Copyright to this resource is held by the Portage Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only.
- Chicago citation style
- Franklin Street, West - Number 207 - Residence of John Graham - James Prentice House. 1900-1905. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/portage/id/164. (Accessed August 12, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (1900-1905) Franklin Street, West - Number 207 - Residence of John Graham - James Prentice House. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/portage/id/164
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/portage/id/164>.