Facsimile of the autograph map of the Mississippi or Conception River.
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Marquette drew this map when he returned from his 1673 journey with Joliet. It is the first European map of the Mississippi Valley. His information quickly began to appear on subsequent European maps, such as that by Thevenot given elsewhere on the Turning Points site. Marquette's original manuscript was soon lost, however, along with his diary of the trip; both of them lay unread in Jesuit archives in Montreal for nearly 200 years. They were re-discovered and published ina rare limited edition in 1852. The version shown here is a photograph of the original manuscript at St. Mary's College in Montreal, as it appeared in volume 59 of the Jesuit Relations in 1899. That volume, linked elsewhere at Turning Points, discusses the relationships between this first map of the Mississippi and other early European depictions. Click "Zoom & Pan" to see more details on the map
- Marquette, Jacques, 1637-1675
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Wisconsin Historical Society
- Burrows Bros. Co
Brown County; Columbia County; Crawford County; Dane County; Grant County; Green Lake County; Iowa County; Marquette County; Outagamie County; Richland County; Sauk County; Winnebago County;
Wisconsin; Arkansas; Illinois; Iowa; Kentucky; Louisiana; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Tennessee
- We believe that online reproduction of this material is permitted because its copyright protection has lapsed or because sharing it here for non-profit educational purposes complies with the Fair Use provisions of the U.S. Copyright Law. Teachers and students are generally free to reproduce pages for nonprofit classroom use. For advice about other uses, or if you believe that you possess copyright to some of this material, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Chicago citation style
- Marquette, Jacques, 1637-1675. Facsimile of the autograph map of the Mississippi or Conception River.. 1673. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/45905. (Accessed December 12, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Marquette, Jacques, 1637-1675, (1673) Facsimile of the autograph map of the Mississippi or Conception River.. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/45905
- MLA citation style
- Marquette, Jacques, 1637-1675. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/tp/id/45905>.