Conant Street, West - Number 201 - Residence of Edward A. Gowran - Sprecher House
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photographic print, taken by a Portage photographer around the turn of the twentieth century, is mounted on matboard and features the residence of then-owner, E.A. Gowran. The elaborate dwelling, known as the Sprecher House, was built in 1882 by Alex Carnegie, designed by architect, T.N. Philpot, and features masonry by A.H. Oakley. The Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory lists this construction as Italianate. The Italianate architectural style includes the low-pitched roof and broad eaves with numerous brackets. Classic detailing is evident in the columned portico with capitals. According to census information (1880), Edward A. Gowran was born in 1858 in New York, and his family moved to Columbia County shortly thereafter. He was married to Grace Gowran. Though this building was once utilized as a residence, the Elk's purchased the building and converted it to their Lodge in 1923. The annotation from 1952, located at the bottom left-hand corner of the object, lists the
- Recollection Wisconsin
- Contributing Institution
- Portage Historical Society
West Conant Street
- Copyright to this resource is held by the Portage Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only.
- Chicago citation style
- Conant Street, West - Number 201 - Residence of Edward A. Gowran - Sprecher House. 1900-1905. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/portage/id/114. (Accessed April 18, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- (1900-1905) Conant Street, West - Number 201 - Residence of Edward A. Gowran - Sprecher House. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/portage/id/114
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/portage/id/114>.